Back to School isn't for kids only
It's never too late to learn something new?
As the kids head back to school for another year of reading, writing and arithmetic what will you do to keep your mind young, active and alive? Have you been thinking about doing something new? Taking up a hobby or brushing up on an old skill? Well, the time could be now.
I don't know about you, but 2007 has really gone by very quickly for me. It has truly been a year of first ...by choice. Somewhere between boredom and fear the decision was made to try to do something new at least once a month. Now at first it was trying new bars and restaurants. Then it became new websites, new magazines, and new books. There was the new people month. Some times I was able to combine a few of these together. So, here it's now September and my new "thing" for this month is language.
Your perfect partner could be online right now...
What are you looking for?
I'm about to re-learn a second language. I took Spanish in high school and I'm sad to report that the only think that I learned was now to count to one hundred and how to conjugate verbs. The only thing that I remember now is some very basic greetings and a few choice "naughty" words. So, I'm headed over to the local community college and signing up for a 6-week class. For fun I'm going to do it with the family. As an incentive for the kids to be excited about it, we're planning a big trip to Spain in a couple of years.
If you are thinking about doing something new or different and you need a little motivation, let me help. Here are a few ideas and tips on how to get started and how to find the fun, even when you can't find the finance.
1. Pick something that you've always loved to do and haven't done in a while or something that you've never done, but always wanted to do. This one is only difficult for me because I have a hard time narrowing it down to just one or two things. I'd love to learn to salsa dance, take singing lessons or more guitar lessons, etc.
2. Search the internet for all the information that you can find on the subject. The cool thing about this is that you'll be surprised how many other people share your same interest. This is a great way to meet new people that share a common interest.
3. Look for free workshops and seminars at local colleges, churches and community centers. Who doesn't like the word "FREE"? You will be amazed by the number of free programs that are being offered every single day on different topics of interest. Good example, I'm a writer, duh, I found a free Saturday workshop on freelance writing a few months back. Not only did I learn some great writing techniques and ideas for creating topics, I met the editor of a local paper and was able to submit my work for some possible future $$.
4. Invest a little time and or money! Sometimes the things we love aren't always available for free, so we must pay for it. If you love it, it's worth it. If you can't afford it right now, than save for it. If at all possible, barter for it. Most people have some kind of skill or trade. If you can't afford to invest in your hobby or love right now, try offering your service to the person or company that's got what you want. My very first voice over class that I took was a 6-8 week class that cost over $500. I had just graduated from college and didn't have the money. I was able to act as the assistant to the coach of the class in exchange for my admittance.
5. Do something TODAY! Make a call, send a email, sign-up, practice or gather more information. Do something to get you closer to DOING SOMETHING. Think of it as getting your favorite person the best gift possible...and you deserve it!!!
- Watch: "Do I Have to Change to Get the Guy?"
- QOTW: Are You on the Hook in Your Relationship?
- New Celebrity Interracial Couple: Seacrest and Lima?
- QOTW: White Girlfriend Reacts Negatively Towards Interracial Couple on TV.
- Watch: Is "Pink Peen" Aversion a Real Thing When it Comes to Interracial Dating?!
QOTW Video: Guy Worries His Black Girlfriend Will Judge His Trump-Supporting Mom
Watch: Warning! This Toxic Guy Will Waste Your Life
Rihanna: "We don't need to be putting black women against each other"
Watch: He Doesn't Value You? Here's How to Change Him.
QOTW: Are You on the Hook in Your Relationship?
15 responses to "Back to School isn't for kids only"
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.