About the "Happy Hour Effect"
"We forget we have the power to control what happens in between stressful times. " -Kristen Brown
The Cheat Sheet:
- Do successful people simply handle stress better?
- The origins of fight or flight and why that response is still with us today.
What's the best natural anti-depressant and how can you produce it?
- What are the earliest signs of stress?
- What is Kristen's #1 productivity tip?
- And so much more...
Your perfect partner could be online right now...
What are you looking for?
Stress is something we all have, it's simply part of being alive today. But how we handle the times between stressful moments has a direct impact on how we cope with the actual stressors in life.
Kristen Brown, creator and author of The Happy Hour Effect joins us to talk about how making ourselves happy in between stressful experiences can help us cope with stress easier and lead to healthier, more productive lives. Listen in for all of that and more on episode 395 of The Art of Charm.
More About This Show:
Kristen Brown didn't simply wake up one morning and decide to create and write The Happy Hour Effect. No, life handed her one of the most stressful and heart-wrenching experiences possible: her young, fit and seemingly healthy husband died. He was 31 and had just been given a clean bill of health by his doctor.
Needless to say Kristen's life went into a tailspin. She was being forced to raise their 10-month old baby by herself, in addition to her very stressful corporate job.
Now facing single motherhood, Kristen was adding stress on top of stress. Her corporate job, which she had always loved, soon became a source of frustration rather than the solid rock it had always been for her.
With time she realized she had control of what was going to happen next. And she knew she could either be swallowed up widowhood or she could face life head on. She chose the latter.
Today she shares how handling stress of any kind or magnitude impacts us in every way, and how we live our lives during non-stressful crisis times also impacts our capacity to cope with stress. We also discuss the five elements of the happy hour effect, the two traps we routinely fall into and what GOALSS stands for.
The five elements of the happy hour effect are:
- People: surround yourself with the right people who will lift you higher, not people who will bring you down.
- Presence: check in with yourself and examine how you are engaging in your own life right now. What is your mood, what are your behaviors and are they helping the situation or environment?
- Passion: Routines are good to help us avoid stress but we also need to stretch ourselves and build in passion.
- Productivity: This is about making progress on the right goals for the right reasons so you impact others' lives
- Peace: You know stress is inevitable, but you also know you control the times in between the stressful events. This is also about how to you create the right routines and processes to make you feel in control, even when life gets hard.
Another aspect of the happy hour effect we discuss is the acronym goalss. Kristen created this acronym to help people create goals they set and actually achieved, not lofty goals way beyond their current lives. Goalss stands for:
G for gut check. Does it feel right in your gut? If it does, go for it. If not, reconsider and revise your goal.
O for obtainable. Be sure you can obtain your goals with what you're doing right now.
A for actionable. You should be able to take an action on any goal right now.
L for life-oriented. If you want to quit a bad habit but that habit helps you cope with the major stress in your life, deal with the stress first and then quit the bad habit.
S for supported. It's important to keep people around you who support you and lift you up.
S for small steps. Taking small steps is easier than taking giant leaps, and you're far more likely to make progress with small steps.
On today's show Kristen and I also discuss the difference between being reactive and proactive, as well as her smartest tips on productivity. We chat about those topics and more, so listen in to hear it all.
Make sense? Drop us a line. Until next time, Stay Charming ;-)
- Watch: How to Make Him Want You For More Than 1 Night
- Watch! Guy Not Investing in You? Avoid THIS Mistake!
- QOTW Video: "Can You Help White Men Ask More Black Women Out?"
- WATCH: The REAL Secret To Getting Closure (It's not what you think...)
- Rihanna: "We don't need to be putting black women against each other"
Responses to "About the "Happy Hour Effect""
Be the first to leave a comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.